Raymond Barger (1906-2001) believed that artists and sculptors should work hand-in-hand with architects and industrial leaders, shaping the contemporary scene. A graduate of the Carnegie Institute of Technology and Yale University School of Fine Arts, Barger moved to Carversville, Pennsylvania in 1966, where he and his wife, Lilas, had a significant impact on the region’s cultural landscape for many years.
While best-known for his monumental outdoor sculptures, including works for the 1964 New York World’s Fair, Barger also created smaller-scale, more intimate works for interior spaces. His Transition, a 25-foot long bronze sculpture originally commissioned for the J. C. Penny Headquarters Building in New York City in 1965, has graced the Byers Garden at the Michener since the year after the museum opened.
The Poetry of Sculpture: Raymond Granville Barger (1906–2001) is the first solo exhibition of Barger’s work at the Michener, and will include objects from the Museum’s permanent collection and loans, many of which come from private collections and are rarely available to the public.
The Poetry of Sculpture: Raymond Granville Barger (1906-2001) is supported by Silverman Family Partnerships.