Mari Sabusawa Michener Bequest Society
The Mari Sabusawa Michener Bequest Society was established to recognize and honor those individuals who have provided for the museum’s future through a bequest or other planned gift. Traditionally, many donors have made outright gifts to the Michener. Although these immediate gifts of cash and appreciated assets are vitally important, there is also a growing need for other types of gifts. By including the Michener Art Museum in your estate plans, you ensure that the museum will maintain its commitment to remain a home for the region’s rich artistic soul. Bequests and planned gifts also encourage an exemplary pattern of continuing support which will help the museum keep pace with expanding needs and encourage the building of endowment funds to secure its future and mission for generations to come.
Anthony C. Canike
Jill Paton Casiegna*
Dorothy M. Cramp*
Neil E. Ellenoff*
J. Lawrence Grim
Barbara L. Ingerman
Donna Sarandrea Kozlowski
M. Carole Knight
Ernest Knight II
William H. Mandel*
Anna Bosa Mulligan
Donald E. Mulligan
Francis H. Rasmus, Jr.
Robert L. Russell*
Bryce M. Sanders
Charles L. Schlipf*
Frank W. Skilton
Leslie E. Skilton
Charles V. Swain*
Brian Louis Wagner*
William D. Williams*
Jerome Wolf, MD*
Dorothy S. Wood*
A charitable bequest to the museum can be inserted into your will when it is written or revised. You can also add a bequest to your existing will through a codicil or amendment. Your lawyers should be consulted when drafting a new will or when revising an existing one. The museum’s Advancement Office will be happy to discuss giving opportunities with you and assist you and your attorney in drafting appropriate language.
When and How to Update Your Will
- You want to name a different executor, trustee, or guardian
- Your assets have significantly increased or decreased in value
- You’ve moved to another state
- Your situation has changed through marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, etc.
- You want to include a gift to the museum or other charitable institution
- The estate tax laws have changed
How to Update Your Will
- Step 1 Get a copy of your current will
- Step 2 Mark the areas you’d like to change
- Step 3 Meet with your estate planning attorney to draft and prepare new documents to include a codicil, which is an amendment, to your current will**
- Step 4 Consider discussing changes with your beneficiaries
Here is an example of language to use when establishing or updating a bequest to the museum:
**I hereby give, devise and bequeath to the James A. Michener Art Museum, a nonprofit corporation organized and operating under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the sum of $________, or _________% of my estate, or the following property:__________________.
For assistance or more information about making a bequest, please contact Laurie McGahey, Deputy Director, at 215.340.9800 x161 or by e-mail.