October 22, 2011 – April 1, 2012
Exhibition Sponsored by Maureen & Gregory Church
Major support from Carol & Louis Della Penna and Kathy & Ted Fernberger
Additional Support from
Gratz Gallery & Conservation Studio
Publication support provided by
Virginia B. and William D. Williams Endowment Fund
Click here to see the catalogue
Bucks County's legacy of excellence in the art of canvas and brush was explored in this major exhibition organized by the Michener Art Museum. From the renowned 19th-century painters Edward Hicks and Martin Johnson Heade, to the gifted masters of landscape painting in the first half of the twentieth century, to the lively and inventive New Hope modernists, The Painterly Voice: Bucks County's Fertile Ground featured more than 200 works of art by Bucks County's best-known historic artists.
Drawn from the Philadelphia area's most prestigious private and institutional collections, the exhibition was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to view some of the finest paintings by these beloved artists, work that is only rarely made available to the general public. The exhibit focused particularly on Bucks County's landscape tradition as embodied in the canvases of Redfield, Garber, Spencer, Coppedge, and their many friends and colleagues who were part of the New Hope art colony.
This unprecedented exhibit opened its doors as the seventh major construction project in the Michener's 23-year history moved toward completion. Opening in the spring of 2012, the Edgar N. Putman Event Pavilion is a state-of-the-art lecture and event center. Together, the two projects symbolize the Michener's own legacy of excellence, as the museum has grown from a small regional art center into a nationally-known institutional leader in the Delaware Valley.
Images: Daniel Garber (1880-1958), Tanis, 1915, oil on canvas,W. 46 1/4 x H. 60 inches, Philadelphia Museum of Art: Purchased with funds contributed by Marguerite and Gerry Lenfest, 2011.... Charles Rosen (1878-1950), The Frozen River, n.d., oil on canvas, H. 42 x W. 52 inches,Collection of Marguerite and Gerry Lenfest