the artist and his work
Early Shop Expansions
Despite sharing a showroom from 1955 until 1966, Evans and Powell always maintained separate workshops. Over time Evans opened new workshops as his work evolved and production expanded. From his first shop, which was a rented former chicken coop in Lambertville, New Jersey, to his second, a converted Pontiac showroom in New Hope, Pennsylvania, Evans expanded his workshop space to accommodate his interest in taking on several projects simultaneously. 9
In 1960 he moved his shop to the garage adjacent to his home on Aquetong Road near New Hope. Throughout the decade of the sixties, he maintained and expanded the Aquetong shop to accommodate the growing workforce needed to produce one-of-a-kind works that would be shown in his New Hope showroom or at America House.
One year after joining forces with Directional Furniture company in 1964, he opened a second shop in Lambertville, New Jersey, for his expanding Directional furniture lines and to accommodate up to eighteen employees. Evans's association with Directional would prove to significantly alter the nature and scope of his furniture production for the next fifteen years. By the end of 1969, he combined his Aquetong Road and Lambertville facilities into a single facility in Plumsteadville, Pennsylvania, where by 1976 he had a workforce of eighty-eight people working in two shifts.