Dedicated, Displayed, Discovered: Celebrating the Region’s School Art Collections
opens on July 8, 2017
DOYLESTOWN, PA – Beginning on July 8, 2017, the James A. Michener Art Museum will present Dedicated, Displayed, Discovered: Celebrating the Region’s School Art Collections, an exhibition that explores the longstanding tradition of art collecting by public educational institutions in southeastern Pennsylvania. The exhibition will be on view through January 7, 2018.
From the 1890s to the mid-20th century, artists and educators in the Delaware Valley region embraced opportunities to introduce original works in hallways and classrooms, advancing a holistic approach to educating and enriching the lives of students. Now, in collaboration with six educational entities, the Michener Art Museum is presenting the first-ever exhibition of these long-hidden artistic treasures, inviting the public to view these historically significant works and to learn the stories of the schools, artists, and educators behind them. The exhibition will draw from various collections throughout school districts in Bucks and Montgomery counties as well as from The School District of Philadelphia.
“For well over a century, the connection among artists, educators, and students has been an important part of the rich artistic heritage of this region,” said Adrienne Neszmelyi-Romano, the Michener’s director of interpretation and innovation who curated this exhibition along with Assistant Curator Louise Feder. “We are delighted to be able to present for the first time how these connections evolved over the decades and benefited everyone involved—especially students, whose intellects were shaped by continuous exposure to and discussions about the original works of art in their classrooms and hallways.”
The Michener Art Museum will host several programs in association with the exhibition, including:
- “Roll Call! Art and Life in a One-Room Schoolhouse” on Saturday, July 22 at 10:30 a.m. (to be held in Solebury, PA)
- Gallery Talk on Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3 p.m.
- Curator Lecture: “History of School Art Collections in the Region” on Tuesday, August 1 at 1 p.m.
- “Roll Call! Art and Life in a One-Room Schoolhouse” on Saturday, September 9 at 10:30 a.m. (to be held in Solebury, PA)
- Panel Discussion: “Reflecting on School Art Collections and Their Relevance Today” on Wednesday, October 4 at 7 p.m.
- Educators Open House and Gallery Talk on Thursday, October 19 at 4 p.m.
- Gallery Talk on Thursday, November 2 at 3 p.m.
- Guest Lecture: “Seeing Eakins Every Day: Mindful Looking at Art in Schools and Museums” on Wednesday, November 15 at 7 p.m.
- Guest Lecture: “Walter E. Baum, An Amazing Leader for Collecting Art in Bucks County Public Schools” on Thursday, November 16 at 1 p.m.
- Teacher Workshop: “Exploring Artworks to Spark Curriculum Connections” on Sunday, November 19 at 1 p.m.
- Curator Gallery Discussion: Conversations/Reflections on the Exhibition on Wednesday, December 6 at 3 p.m.
Dedicated, Displayed, Discovered: Celebrating the Region’s School Art Collections is supported by Worth & Company, Inc. and Silverman Family Partnerships. For more details about the exhibition and its programs, visit MichenerArtMuseum.org.
About the James A. Michener Art Museum
The James A. Michener Art Museum collects, preserves, interprets and exhibits American art, and promotes the work of nationally and internationally known Delaware Valley artists of all eras and creative disciplines. The museum presents exhibitions that explore a variety of artistic expressions and offers diverse educational programs that develop a lifelong involvement in the arts. Throughout the year, the Michener Art Museum hosts a wide range of programs open to the public, including lectures, artists conversations, gallery talks, artist studio tours, dance performances, jazz performances, family-themed activities, and other events. The museum also offers diverse selection of art classes for children and adults, which include instruction in drawing, painting, sculpting, and printmaking as well as programs for the public, schools, and teachers designed to support arts education. The James A. Michener Art Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
The Michener Art Museum is located at 138 South Pine St., Doylestown, PA. The Museum is open Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 am – 4:30 pm; Saturday 10:00 am – 5:00 pm and Sunday noon – 5:00 pm. For more information, visit MichenerArtMuseum.org or call 215.340.9800.
# # #