Openings at the Michener
The James A. Michener Art Museum, a private non-profit organization in Doylestown, PA seeks an On Call Preparator.
Under the direction of the Chief Preparator, the On Call Preparator assists in exhibiton de-installations and installations and helps with the packing, unpacking, crating and uncrating of art objects and the general preparation of gallery spaces (patching, painting, clean up, etc.). This is a temporary, on call position dependent upon the Museum’s exhibition schedule.
• Assists Chief Preparator and Assistant Preparator in the preparation and installation of art objects and other related materials for museum exhibitions.
• Assists Chief Preparator and Assistant Preparator in the installation and de-installation of exhibitions and the preparation of exhibition spaces; assembly of modular walls, patch, paint and clean up, etc.
• Packing, crating and uncrating art objects for display, storage and/or transport.
• Performs various duties as assigned by the Chief Preparator and/or the Assistant Preparator.
• Accompany Chief Preparator in Museum’s truck for pickups and deliveries of loan items.
• Assist Registrar in collections inventories and maintenance of art storage spaces.
Education and Experience:
• A combination of education (Bachelor degree preferred), training and experience in the above listed functions. A minimum of two years’ experience in museum and/or gallery exhibition installation is required.
Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge and practice of tools (both power and hand).
• Basic carpentry and woodworking skills, electrical, lighting and audio-visual knowledge preferred.
• Framing skill (works on paper i.e. drawings, prints and photographs) highly preferred.
• Ability to stand and/or work on your feet for extended periods; lift and carry art objects and other materials weighing up to 50 pounds (frequently), objects over 50 pounds (occasionally) and work at heights up to 20 feet (using both ladders and mechanical lifts).
• Demonstrated problem-solving and organizational skills, and adept at multitasking, with great attention to detail.
• Ability to interpret, implement and uphold policies and procedures pertaining to the museum’s Art Handling Policy and Collections Management Policy.
• Familiarity with proper art handling standards and practices through experience.
To apply, please send resume, references, and salary requirements to Rebecca Rosen, at [email protected] or mail to James A. Michener Art Museum, Attn: Rebecca Rosen, 138 South Pine Street, Doylestown, PA 18901. No phone calls, please. EOE
Volunteers are critical to the fulfillment of the Michener Art Museum’s mission. Support staff is utilized in various areas of the museum. The administrative offices need volunteers with basic office skills, including data entry; the galleries demand responsible, community oriented people; our charming shop needs to be stocked and maintained; our children’s art workshops, both on-site and offsite, need volunteers who enjoy nurturing the creative process; our education department seeks individuals who like to share their enthusiasm for art with others; and our expanding program offerings need special events hosts to ensure that our visitor’s experience at Museum events is a positive one.
The Michener Art Museum offers credit and non-credit college internships for the summer. Projects have included work in one of the following departments: education, collections, visitor services, library and Bucks County Artist Database research project, and marketing and public relations.
Internships require a minimum of 15 hours per week for two months and occur between the months of May and August, contingent on the intern’s college requirements and project availability. Credit and non-credit internships are non-paying.
All positions for Summer 2019 have been filled. View the list to see what positions are offered. Please check back for Summer 2020 opportunities!