Openings at the Michener
The James A. Michener Art Museum, a private non-profit organization in Doylestown, PA, seeks a per diem Facility Staff. Under the supervision of the Facility Manager, the Facility Staff will be responsible maintaining the building and grounds of the James A. Michener Art Museum to highest standards possible. Weekly hours range from 12-18 hours/week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Has a working knowledge of all systems- HVAC, security, and fire.
- Responds immediately to all emergency calls, including those in the middle of the night.
- Makes weekly surveys of the building and grounds with Facility Manager to assure safety, cleanliness and a well- maintained campus.
- Reviews Master Calendar activities to assure the various departments’ needs are being met and activities are not conflicting.
- Supports all departmental activities.
- Opens and closes the museum, as needed.
- Other duties, as needed, but not limited to: cleaning, power washing, trash removal, vacuuming, furniture moving, repairs, changing light bulbs and painting.
- Experience is building maintenance. HVAC training a plus.
- Basic computer skills
- Good organizational skills, adept at multitasking, and great attention to detail.
- Must have collegial management style that promotes teamwork and open communication.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with donors, volunteers, and staff.
This is a per diem position, hourly wage, and no benefits. EOE.
To apply, please send resumes to Rebecca Rosen, at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to James A. Michener Art Museum, Attn: Rebecca Rosen, 138 South Pine Street, Doylestown, PA 18901. No phone calls, please.
The James A. Michener Art Museum, a private non-profit organization with in Doylestown, PA seeks a part-time Assistant Preparator.
The Assistant Preparator will assist the Chief Preparator in the preparation and installation of art objects and other related materials for museum exhibitions. Primary duties and responsibilities involve all physical aspects of the museums’ inventory and loaned objects; physical installation, maintenance, shipping, and storage.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Registrar and other curatorial staff in collections inventories and maintenance of galleries and other related spaces
- Assist in the installation and de-installation of exhibition areas.
- Packing, crating, and uncrating art objects for display, storage, or transit- must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Preparation of gallery spaces- assembly of modular wall system, light patching, painting, and cleanup
- Experience and knowledge of shop tools and machinery for construction of exhibition mounts and displays
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to stay flexible, organized, and work closely with others to communicate as a small team- this includes a necessary professional demeanor in a museum setting or an occasional lender/client interaction.
- Knowledge of art handling procedures and practices and the ability to stay organized and safe in pressure deadline situations
- A knowledge of materials with the ability to construct appropriate and safe packages for shipping and delivery of art objects
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and able to drive a 16ft box truck for transport of art objects
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of objects that can weigh up to 50 pounds (or greater mass that require mechanical assistance). Standing or walking may occur up to 50% of the time or more
To apply, please send resume, references, and salary requirements to Rebecca Rosen, at email@example.com or mail to James A. Michener Art Museum, Attn: Rebecca Rosen, 138 South Pine Street, Doylestown, PA 18901. No phone calls, please. EOE.
Volunteers are critical to the fulfillment of the Michener Art Museum’s mission. Support staff is utilized in various areas of the museum. The administrative offices need volunteers with basic office skills, including data entry; the galleries demand responsible, community oriented people; our charming shop needs to be stocked and maintained; our children’s art workshops, both on-site and offsite, need volunteers who enjoy nurturing the creative process; our education department seeks individuals who like to share their enthusiasm for art with others; and our expanding program offerings need special events hosts to ensure that our visitor’s experience at Museum events is a positive one.
The Michener Art Museum offers credit and non-credit college internships for the summer. Projects have included work in one of the following departments: education, collections, visitor services, library and Bucks County Artist Database research project, and marketing and public relations.
Internships require a minimum of 15 hours per week for two months and occur between the months of May and August, contingent on the intern’s college requirements and project availability. Credit and non-credit internships are non-paying.
For more information, please e-mail or send a letter of interest and resume to:
Zoriana E. Siokalo
Director of Programs
James A. Michener Art Museum
138 S. Pine Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
215.340.9800, ext. 122 | E-mail